Anderson Island History
The historic Johnson Farm Anderson Island is a well-prservid bit of Puget Sound heritage. The authentically preserved home and farm buildings open a door to an important bit of that history here on the island. The island was named in 1841 by famed Puget Sound explorer, Charles Wilkes of the United States Exploring Expedition. Given a warm reception at Fort Nisqually by Mr. Anderson and Captain McNeill, and assistance to aid his operations, Wilkes repaid their kindness by naming the two nearby islands after these two men.
In 1870, Andrew N. Christensen, and his brother, Christian F. Christensen, were the first European settlers to stay at the island. Andrew’s wife had a strong hand in the development of the island community. Christian was the only Christensen brother to reside permanently on Anderson Island. The primary industry was the sale of wood to the wood-burning steamers that came into Amsterdam Bay. Other early industries included brick making, farming and fishing.
Historic Johnson Farm Anderson Island and Museum
The historic Johnson Farm on Anderson Island was established in 1896. The well preserved buildings seen now—farm house, barn, chicken coops and water tower date from 1912 to 1920. The farm museum and gift shop (open Saturday and Sunday) are operated by the Anderson Island Historical Society. Tour the authentically preserved farm house, outbuildings and antique farm equipment. It’s the perfect site for a lovely picnic or to enjoy events like the summer farmers’ market, annual salmon bake and Festival of Christmas Trees. There are also community garden spaces available for members of the Anderson Island Historical Society. See, stroll and touch a great display of South Puget Sound history at the historic Johnson Farm Anderson Island. More information is available at http://anderson-island.org/hs